Washing My Hair in the Sink

We woke up late this morning. Jerome and Xavier decided to sleep in and Sylvain didn't set his alarm. I woke up and looked around, it was bright in our room. Oh no. That means the sun is coming up. That means it's after 7am. Crap.

Turns out it was 7:45am. My dayhome is 'supposed' to be open at 7am, Sylvain is supposed to be off to work at 7:30. EEK!

Jump out of bed, don't even get dressed, run downstairs and check the front door. Nobody. Whew. Then I start to wander around and turn on lights, straighten up and realize I probably have to wash my face. Make up, wonderful... unless you go to bed with it on.

Anyway. Everything started out in a hurry, but slowed down after that. I was going to have a dayhome safety check done today, but she called and rescheduled. But that wasn't before I ran around putting things away, cleaning things, locking up cupboards, etc. Sheesh. In between babies snacking, playing, diaper changes. And that was BEFORE lunch!

I remember I haven't showered yet. I work tonight, well, every night this week in fact. I need to wash up. I went to the bathroom and washed my face completely this time. All make up gone. Run upstairs and grab shampoo and conditioner, come back down. My two boys are awake, my dayhome baby is napping. I make sure everyone is in one room, run to the kitchen and wash my hair. Quickly. Nevertheless, it's washed.

In that moment, I remember my mother. She washed her more often than she showered or bathed. I always, ALWAYS thought that it was because she didn't feel like it. In this single moment I have a sudden thought. She didn't prefer it, she didn't have time for it. All the things my parents have done for me and my siblings. All the sacrifices. Working late, working early for that matter, going without to give to us... all the things I do now... they did at one point for me.

Can you imagine what sort of emotion comes over you? How it makes you feel that you have in fact become your parents. Not in the way you always dread as a child, but in the way that makes you most proud? The way that defines almost all parents? To know that even though you don't necessarily like how busy you are now, you know it's for the better?

I am my mother. I am my father. I am grateful.

Call your parents. Tell them you love them. Just because you disagree or don't see eye to eye... doesn't mean a thing. Love is unconditional, eternal and wonderful.

All these emotions because I washed my hair. Could you imagine what would've happened had I actually showered?!?

Comments

  1. Love it, Tanya! What a great blog. I could identify totally.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The End isn't always THE End

Where to Start