Waiting game...

After I went to the doctor to discuss bariatric surgery, where I was surprised to find out that she was happy to give me a referral. Apparently my struggles have been... apparent.

I started to talk to a friend of mine from school. She had the lap-band "installed" and had some info. Also she had spoken to lots of others that have had various surgeries and all through Alberta Health Services (AHS). She did not, she went to Mexico, because way back when she wanted it done, it would've been an 8 year wait.



8 YEARS... whoa.







Turns out, it might be a long time for me as well.

Maybe not THAT long, but it'll seem like forever.

I found a website, a place where people can find surgeons and forums with an entire COMMUNITY of people that have had or are hoping to have surgery.

Some have been waiting for months, some more than a year... some have been waiting for months to get the appointment that TELLS you that you can have surgery! That's not even waiting for SURGERY yet!!

So while I wait for my doctor to call me with a referral appointment date, I am, unadvisedly, doing some Internet research on everything.


  • Could be a month before the initial appointment.
  • They need you to attend some "classes" and lose about 10% of your weight in six months BEFORE surgery.
  • If you lose to much then you'll no longer be eligible for surgery.
  • The "faster" you lose that 10% the sooner you'll get surgery.
  • SOOO many people have had problems with either type - bypass or lap-band - so it's hard to decide what would be better.
  • It could be up to a 3 year wait for surgery.
  • If you DO get surgery it could be in Red Deer, Edmonton, Medicine Hat, etc.
  • You have monthly appointments, in the CITY of your surgery... JOY...



With all that said, it makes me wonder. What's the point of exhausting all other options of weight loss until you're to the point of frustration that makes you want to pull your hair out... if you're just going to be told it could be another 3-4 YEARS of waiting before you get relief??

Don't get me wrong. Or think me spoiled. I didn't think I was going to get surgery tomorrow. But I DID think it would be within this year sometime.

Obviously this is what I've read on the net. Not what I've been TOLD in person or anything. And fortunately, I am unfortunate enough to have co-morbidities that go along with being morbidly obese. I suffer from depression and anxiety and I have asthma.

It seems as though if you have co-morbidities then you are pushed up that list. So it's actually in my favour (for once) that I'm as broken as I am.

So. What am I going to do? I'm going to walk on my treadmill. Do 15 min at a time on my elliptical. Eat as well as I can. Work as hard as I can to NOT get sucked into all the drama on the inter-webs. Work as hard as I can to, at the very least, not GAIN weight.

And wait... I'm going to wait for the phone call that gets me the appointment with a surgeon.

Keep up with me if you want, I'll be posting this new journey and hopefully we get somewhere together!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End isn't always THE End

Washing My Hair in the Sink

Where to Start