Parenting. It sucks.

My eldest is Xavier. Most of you know this. He attends school at Notre Dame-de-la-Paix. French catholic school. It was the best choice at the time. Small classes, french education, CATHOLIC education... both of which I cannot teach him. I'm not religious, I know the basics, but it's not enough to instill faith.

But... there's always a but... this year it has been a struggle. Not really for his part. For the part of his teacher and us, it has been a struggle. They use a system called "moodle" it's supposed to be a messaging system, homework system, etc all in one. It sucks. Like it really REALLY sucks. If you don't go on there CONSTANTLY you'll miss things they're supposed to do. The teacher doesn't always update it when they're supposed to, and you can't really ask questions about anything unless you call/email her directly and then wait for a response... which rarely happen within a week. Classes have gotten bigger even though the resources and staff have not changed.

So he's been at reading level 17 (for grade 2) for about 5 weeks. FIVE WEEKS. there are less than 40 days - including weekends - left of school to get him up to level 20, where he's supposed to be, by the end of the year. I've messaged, called, emailed, wrote notes, gotten Xavier to ask her.. to test him to move him up a level or two. She constantly tells him/us that it'll happen soon, she's getting around to it, etc etc...

Now, this teacher is supposed to be one of the "better" ones that this school has. She's quite good. Has older values and ways of teaching which is really what the kids need.

However. She has 28 kids in this class. More than half are behind, and a few of those are FAR behind.

I've resorted to telling Xavier, just trade your level 17 books for level 18.

"Maman. I'm not supposed to. I could get in trouble."
"Don't worry. If she sees you doing it, just tell her I told you to, and if she won't let you fine, grab some 17's and we'll work with those."

I do believe I just okay-ed my son to break a rule. And you know what? I'm ok with that.

At this point of the year I started really REALLY considering switching his school. He needs a better school with smaller classes and better structure and organization. At least, that's what I think. BUT... there's always a but... he has good friends... wonderful friends... he likes his school life... he likes his school... he can't say enough good things about his teacher, music teacher, gym teacher, librarian, etc...

So... now the parenting part I hate... do we switch him in favour of a supposed "better" shot at education and in the meantime ripping him from the world he knows and loves? Or do we leave him where he is and get the teacher to communicate with us better, hire a tutor, allow him (encourage him really) to break the rules in favour of moving ahead?

I remember moving schools a few times. The older you are the more difficult it is to make friends. I was also the "bigger child" so it was a little EXTRA hard for me... but we moved and had to move schools... my education was much better in Strathmore at the time, but when you come to school one month into the year and you're in grade 7? Um, ya... not so good in a town of 5000.... My teachers were great, the friends I had were awesome and I don't think I would've changed it for anything.

Can I do this to him and expect him to just understand and deal with it? Do I dare do something that might hurt his confidence that is so fragile at this age? Would I be able to cope in this day and age?

Parenting. It sucks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End isn't always THE End

Washing My Hair in the Sink

Where to Start