Treadmill? BAH! HUMBUG!

Good morning! How are you? Really? Oh, okay.

Yes, I enjoy pretending I'm speaking with whomever reads this. Silly, right? No... I guess it could be construed as normal... you're so right! I should listen to you more often. hehehe...

It's no secret that I'm a jogger. Nope, not a runner, a jogger. I don't run. I am a little faster than most people that just stroll, but definitely slower than people that walk quickly.

Anyway! I signed up for a half marathon! YAY! Crazy lady strikes again! Woo hoo!

I've had a bit of an epiphany.... I dislike... nope... I HATE the treadmill.

Can't stand it. I've been running on that stupid treadmill for 3 weeks now. I hate it. Worst thing for me. Probably going to avoid it at all costs.

Why, you might be wondering? Why could she hate such a wonderful invention that prevents the fit and wanna-be-fit from having to run/jog/walk out in poor weather? What could be so horrible that she hates it with such a passion?

My freaky deaky OCD. That's what.

I stare at the clock. I watch the distance meter. I flip through how many calories I've done. I can't just jog. No, I have to watch the stupid numbers. The blinking lights. Check my heart rate, push buttons, make sure I'm doing a certain speed, oh wait, too fast, lower it... how long can I run... blah blah blah..

It took three weeks for me to realize this, but there it is.

Sylvain says, why not just cover it up? Because of one thing. I. Need. To. See. It.

For some odd reason, I can't cover it up and let it alone. I have to uncover and 'peek' at the numbers. It's so stupid, yet I can't help myself. It's beyond my control. The little part of my brain that seeks out odd numbers and asymmetry tells me I HAVE to look.

I have to make sure I'm running an odd number of seconds/minutes, that I finish my run on an odd number. I can't run in the MIDDLE of the treadmill, I have to run slightly to one side. Oh. My. God. I'm just so freaking nuts!

And if there's somebody running beside me??? OR WALKING?? HOLY GEEZ!! I have to watch THEIR numbers too! And wonder why I'm not walking/jogging that fast. Why can't I do that? How can they run for so long. Geez my legs hurt. What's their speed? Wow. That's fast for walking. Maybe I should try. HOLY CRAP, too fast.

This is what goes through my mind. I can't just concentrate on building my endurance, developing the running muscles. Enjoying the time to listen to my music. No. I have to watch the numbers.

So I'll be running outside from now on. As long as the weather holds and we get no more ICE (ice and klutz's do NOT go together) I'll be able to continue my training outside with my phone app. That way I can't see how LONG I've been running, how FAR I've run for the past 2 minutes, I don't care where I'm running on the sidewalk because it's all uneven anyway, and most importantly?

I can adjust my speed to whatever I'm doing, however I'm feeling, I can run to the next post and then stop to walk or keep running to the next post, whatever feels good.

Treadmills and me? Not friends. It was good when I needed a start and couldn't run outside because of the ice everywhere. But now. Sidewalks are my friends



Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End isn't always THE End

Washing My Hair in the Sink

Where to Start