Hurry up and wait... wait, slow down!

Ever have one of those days where you wish you could just sit down and give up? Even for just a half hour? So that it's not so fast paced and go go go go??

I got a referral to the weight management clinic here in Calgary back in February of 2014... in May I had my first meeting with one of the nurses. Over that summer I proceeded to complete the 6 mandatory classes in order to become a candidate for bariatric surgery. I had monthly appointments and blood work and all sorts of other things after that. This past summer, 2015, I managed to get my second and final case study by the program. It seems as though I had slipped through the cracks momentarily as others that started after me had surgery dates already. I was disappointed and very discouraged.

In October I was scheduled to meet the newest surgeon on the team, he's young and very enthusiastic about it. His knowledge and willing to answer any and all my questions left me feeling confident in my decision to get the gastric sleeve and not the bypass. Although, my husband might have other feelings, he's letting me make the decision as it's my journey and he's there to support me.

That choice is not what this entry is about.

This past week, on November 3rd, I got a phone call from his office with a surgery date! HURRAY! I'm extremely happy and excited for this. However, more phone calls came... with those calls there were requests for appointments and phone calls and tests that need to be done... all PRIOR to surgery... I'm just over a month away and I need to fit it ALL in... Before this I had already booked two classes and a fluoroscopy that I need before I can have surgery.

Suddenly my calendar looks like a novel of my life rather than a family schedule. It's nerve wracking. I run a dayhome. How am I supposed to manage all of these appointments and still keep my families happy? How the heck can I get back up care with such short notice? What's worse, my one girl can't have back up care, she's ASD and will not tolerate anyone else other than close family or me.

Today I got yet another call, remember it's only been 2 days, for two more appointments. One is a phone call from the nurse and one is to meet two doctors. I hung up with that nurse and sat down and had a big ol' cry. My life has become a series of appointments and tests and I was NOT ready for it. I was, am, in this program for the long haul. I thought it would be next SUMMER before I was able to get surgery... seriously, I had prepared for a LONG wait, but now it's here. I did NOT prepare myself for surgery this soon.

I am very fortunate to have a loving and supportive husband and boys. They get it. They know I'm trying and I'm having a tough time at the moment. Even though I feel as though I have let them down in every way imaginable, they constantly remind me that I haven't. It doesn't matter if it means doing homework without whining or if it means cooking supper without being asked.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

What a stupid saying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End isn't always THE End

Washing My Hair in the Sink

Where to Start