The "Easy" Way Out : Part One

Almost two years ago I got a referral from my doctor to the Calgary Weight Loss Clinic. I went in there thinking that it was just a "prerequisite" to the surgery that I was seeking. What I learned was it is so much more than that.

I learned why my body is the way it is, why we are in that constant up and down state with our weight. I learned that not everyone wants or even NEEDS surgery to be successful. I made new friends and found some unlikely ones. The support system is amazing and the staff are very knowledgeable. I learn that some of the most important victories don't involve a scale.

In the nearly two years part of the program, I didn't lose any weight. HOWEVER, I didn't gain weight. Which to me is a HUGE thing. I was so happy that I was maintaining, albeit a heavy weight, I was maintaining. My goal was still surgery. But I started to see it in a different light. I saw it once as my solution, my only option, my way out. After classes and many discussions, I see it as a new tool, one that, when used correctly, will change my life.

I've not announced on Facebook or any other social media what's going on, not really. I'm afraid of the backlash. The kind where people are all knowing, and say that losing weight is simple, just eat better, eat less, move more and it's easy. I don't want to read those comments. I don't want to explain my life to people that don't really care.

The people that KNOW have been supportive and encouraging. My mother, whom I thought would be the one to try and talk me out of it, has been a very quiet cheerleader. She obviously doesn't want me to have surgery, she's scared, of what could happen, but she wants me to be happy. If surgery leads down a road to happiness, then she's all for it.

All my friends and family that have been told, either outright or reluctantly, are curious about it, want me to discuss things, have honest opinions but keep them as that. Opinions. They don't try to change my mind or make me feel bad for taking the "easy way out". They know it's far from that. They are supportive and want what's best for me. Whatever that is.

In November 2015 I got a call saying surgery would be in December. Starting December 11th I was to start a 3 week liquid diet. Five Ensure high protein and clear fluids each day. Thinking I can handle the world, I decided I've got this. Today is day one. My head tells me I'm hungry and I should eat everything in sight. I have to convince myself all the time that I am NOT hungry, it's in my head, I can do this if I just put my mind to it.

This is going to be one of the most difficult things I've ever done. I need support, encouragement and kind words. I am lucky to have many places to turn to if I need any of that.

Whomever decided that major gastric surgery was the "easy" way out should take another look. I've gotten to the point in my life where regular life changes, fad diets, stupid diets, smart choices, magic pills, etc just don't work. I've spent most of my adult life as obese and morbidly obese. I've tried. HARD. To lose weight. If you've been on this journey with me, you know the steps I've taken to try and do this without any sort of medical intervention. It got to a point where I needed help, my doctor agreed, and here I am. Three weeks away from getting surgery.

Surgery is not the first day of my new life. The first day of my new life was when I first walked into that office and met the nurse of the Adult Weight Loss Clinic. THAT ladies and gentlemen, is when my life started down a new path.

 
 
 
To read part 2, go here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End isn't always THE End

Washing My Hair in the Sink

Where to Start