Awesomeness without the attitude

So I'm not normally a shy person. I mean, I was really... like REALLY introverted and shy when I was younger, but now I'm pretty outgoing. I have a great sense of humour, ok, so to ME it's a great sense of humour. But I can tailor it to my audience. Depending on who I'm hanging out with at the time. I like to think of myself as organized, fun... a people pleaser.

It took a long time for me to finally realize I'm just as important as the next person. I am worth the attention that I give myself. A good haircut (an amazing haircut), a gym membership, etc etc. But it's not like I saw the best me on my own. Nope, I would've never seen my worth without help. My husband, my kids... they were a step in the right direction, okay, so a shove in the right direction. But the thing that helped me most? My most inspiring muse? My friends. One in particular.

I don't know what she thought of me when we first met, but I remember thinking... wow... what a fake. That's right. I judged her first thing. I don't know if it was her job title, her smile/laugh or just her sincerity. I mean, it's not like anybody is truly sincere anymore... right? Wrong. There are people out there that have hit bottom, clawed their way back up and are determined to stay there. Along the way they develop a wonderful attitude and personality. Fake? Don't think she knows the meaning of the word.

Heather Atlee is my biggest inspiration and my biggest fan all rolled into one. Aside from my family of course. :D I look at what she does and what she's going to do and I am in complete awe of her. There isn't anything that she does that can be considered crazy and courageous all in one thought process. I'm not the easiest person to get through to sometimes and for a lot of reasons it's even harder for me to trust people.

With Heather? For some reason I was able to appreciate her girly style more than I've ever been able to in a woman. It's insane, I know. I am NOT girly. I mean, I clean up real good and all, but I'd much rather hang out in my grubby clothes and crocs than anything else. That could be having kids or just being lazy, who knows, but there it is. I saw a very... I mean VEERYYY girly girl in front of me, but I didn't run away screaming. I wanted to know more about where she came from, where she is now, and all the journey along the way.

The more I learned, the more I realized that we were very alike. Scary how one misjudgement almost made me miss out on a very good friendship. I value her opinion, her insight, her advice and most of all... her fashion sense. hehehe... She understands me and knows what to say and when to say it. She is an amazing person inside and out and I can't even begin to describe how grateful I am for her unconditional friendship.

Marathons, shoes, triathalons, half-iron-mans, iron man competitions... shoes... bikes, running, shoes, swimming... shoes, clothes... her family, friends... shoes... wine, food... oh, did I mention shoes? oh and wine... :D Her goals get bigger and bigger, mind you I think they're based on wine consumption and lack of supervision on the internet, but the more she accomplishes the braver I get. She is one of the BIG reasons I decided to run that 5k, such a wonderful supporter, and it's hard to say no to someone who's been there, done that... almost literally... she's been in my position and plowed through. What can I say? She's my muse.

When I started this entry I intended on writing about all my friends in one swift blog. But the more I wrote the more I realized that I can't do that. Every person in my life, well, every person in my life that means something to me needs more than a quick note. They all love me and help me in so many ways and in different ways. It's hard to only dedicate a sentence or even a paragraph to them. I had to blog about Heather today, even though it's hard to put into words what I see when I look at her, I think I managed to give you a small insight into my thoughts.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The End isn't always THE End

Washing My Hair in the Sink

Where to Start