Step One

I had a doctors appointment to regarding bariatric surgery.


I needed to know if she would give me a referral to have it covered by Alberta Health Care.

Let me tell you something about me first.


I'm, by nature, a pessimist. I never EVER expect anything good to happen to me. I never get my hopes up. I don't wish for things.

I figure if I expect the worst and that doesn't happen, then I'm on the up side right? Well, you probably figure that's how MOST people operate, so big whoop.

But I be most people don't expect their wedding to be cancelled. Or that they're going to crash their care each time they drive it. Or that their kids are suddenly going to start hating them for some unknown reason.

No. That's just me and my screwed up view of my life.

But this time. This was one of those FEW times I allowed myself to be ever so slightly hopeful.


There I was... sitting in the doctors office I was trying to prepare myself for the conversation I was about to have. I practiced every possible argument and tried to make sure I sounded like I knew what I was talking about. Surely she was going to question every angle and motive I had for this surgery.

I didn't have a LOT of time to practice, she came in fairly quick today. Figures.

So I sat there while we exchanged hellos and how are yous and such. She asks, What can I do for you today?

I threw my hands up in the air and said I'm tired of this. She grinned.

SHE GRINNED.

Tired of it, eh?
Yes, I'm tired of the weight loss journey. Because it's now a WALL
Ok. Time for the next step?
Yes. I need to do something drastic. I'd like to do some sort of surgery.
I think you can do that on your own, though. Like slim band...
Yes, but if I want it covered, at least partially by AHC, I nee
Oh, yes, you need a referral! Ok, so how much do you weigh?
uh... 231.
And what's the LOWEST you've been since you started?
uh.... 212
And how long have you been 'dieting'?
Almost 5 years.
Ok, we will look into the least invasive and most coverage for you. Then we will call you back with your appointment! Anything else?
Um... no?
Alright! Talk to you later! We will get that done quickly for you.

Well crap. That's not even a QUARTER of the argument discussion I thought I was going to have!!

So yea... it's hard to be a pessimist when your doctor is on your side, rah rah-ing you and helping you in any way she can.

We are officially at step one... well actually step two, step one was doing the research and making the appointment... but meh, Step Two didn't make a good title. 

Step One... get your doctor to refer you to the weight loss clinic and get you an appointment.

Step Two to come when I figure it out. :) Thanks for coming with me on this journey, I need all the support I can get at this point!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End isn't always THE End

Washing My Hair in the Sink

Where to Start