Day 10

Today is day 10 of being on Prozac.

Today was NOT a good day.

I woke up angry and tired and scared.

The day passed by in a blink.

I yelled... a lot.

I cried... a lot.


I laughed... at inappropriate times.

What. The. Hell.

So, I ended up on Dr. Google. What I failed to find out in my first two days of "research" was that Prozac can take between 2-6 weeks to feel the full effect of the anti-depressant. I naturally thought that being on one anti-depressant meant that when I started a different one, I would feel very little in the change.

Holy shit was I wrong.

I dug a little deeper and found both are SSRI's (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) they are not all that different. It just seem to be the concentrations. Cipralex is a bit more potent, when compared to Prozac (this is from a few sources), but as I stated in my last blog, Prozac has a LONGER half-life. meaning it stays in the system longer than Cipralex. Being more potent doesn't mean it works better, it just means you can take a lower dosage and get the same benefit.

One site had something called the 6-6-9 rule. This rule is:
  • It can take up to 6 weeks before an antidepressant is effective.
  • It can take up to 6 months to get the maximum effect of the antidepressant.
  • You should take an antidepressant for at least 9 months after your symptoms have started to improve, if this is your first episode of depression. (Some doctors use a slightly different approach. They suggest that you should take an antidepressant for at least 6 months after you have achieved stable remission of your symptoms.)
  • In the northern latitudes, it is recommended that you do not stop an antidepressant in the fall or winter, when people are more prone to depression.

I'm unimpressed with my behaviour today, and as I write this I am actually starting to feel a bit better. I never knew how much better I felt on the anti-depressants until now. My doctor said chronic depression will always need to be treated, I was in denial that I was chronic. I was wrong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End isn't always THE End

Washing My Hair in the Sink

Where to Start