I was chosen

There's a saying, that I've heard more than once, that you cannot choose your family.

That's not true. I was chosen.

In 1987 my mother met my father. I was 6 at the time and my brother 4. It took him a while to find us, but in the end, he did.

I do not share any of his genes, but people, even my father-in-law, says that we look so much alike. A lot of people have told me how much of him they see in my children, his grandsons. And each time I hear these comments I grin and stand a little taller. Mostly because it's true, but also because I truly believe that he was meant to be my father, our father, and it just took him a while to find us.

It means a lot to go into a relationship with a woman that has two children from a previous... whatever it was... I guess what I'm trying to say is that it means a lot to go into the relationship and stay there. A lot of men wouldn't bother, some would try and give up, but there's only one that jumped in feet first and never looked back.

He changed my life, as to how much? I couldn't tell you. I wouldn't be where I am today had he not come into my life. Don't get me wrong. I think I would've done fine, my mother did everything she could to make sure we were provided for and didn't think much for herself before us. She was and still is a very strong woman. But when we met him and when mom told us that he was here to stay, we of course had hesitations, but who wouldn't? We were still young. But very quickly we realised that this amazing person loved us. He barely knew us, but he loved us, like we had always been his children.

So, although I can't tell you how much my life changed in that instant, I can tell you that he changed all of our lives for the better. Over the 23 years he has shown us so much. Strength, persistence, courage, patience, love, grief, and determination. He's shown us that you can go through a lot and still come out on top. Nine years ago, when his doctor told him that if he didn't quit smoking, NOW, he wasn't going to see his youngest child graduate high school, he did just that. He quit. But he did it cold turkey, no patch, no gum, no meds. Nada, zip. He chewed a lot of gum... a LOT of gum... and looked for emotional support from his family. He had a rough time, but he did it. After smoking for 28years and most of that being 2 or 3 packs a DAY, he quit. If that doesn't show you love for your family, I don't know what else would.

I am proud to call myself his daughter and even more proud to call him Dad.

I love you Dad. For forever and ever.


December 3rd, 1988

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End isn't always THE End

Washing My Hair in the Sink

Where to Start