It'll keep you.

Lately, and by more than a few people, I've been asked how I keep my motivation.

The word motivation is derived from the word motive. And Webster's dictionary defines motive as something (such as a need or desire) that causes a person to act.

It's simple enough to find out what the word means, but the "something" in that definition is a little more difficult to define. The core of everyone's motivation should be themselves. It should be that they're trying to improve themselves for them.

So the answer to everyone's question, how do I keep my motivation? I don't keep it, it keeps me.

It's so overwhelming trying to better yourself. With a child or children to take care of, a home, work, friends and just life in general. To find time is impossible, but to MAKE time to better yourself? That's a challenge, but a necessary one. My whole life I've made excuses for my faults and short-comings, I never took responsibility for creating my own image. I blamed others, credited my genes, procrastinated... you name it, I did it.

Why did it change? Have you ever told somebody, oh yea, I'm totally fine with the way I look. I'm big, but that's okay. Plus size is the new norm! I'm totally cool like this...

... but it's a flat out lie?

Because you don't want to admit, to others, or to yourself really, that you hate yourself? That you can't stand looking in the mirror? This was me for almost my entire life. I had actually lied to myself so much that I convinced myself that I really WAS okay with being big. Then on vacation last year, Sylvain did/said some things, that made me realize that HE was okay with me being big too... that was horrible. I felt like I had let him down. Like he'd given up on me being anything but this, this huge woman!

I was ashamed. That feeling was my motivation to get started.

After that, it was a little more difficult. My motivation changed almost monthly, then weekly, then pretty much daily. It was anything from the feeling I got seeing that number on the scale go down, to my son giving me a Lego helicopter for "my tummy getting smaller". But the root of my motivation is me. I finally decided to take responsibility for my image, not just how I see me, but how the world sees me too. I've always known I'm beautiful inside, a loving person with a very humorous and fun personality. Now my outer image is starting to reflect that.

So don't try to keep your motivation. Let it change. Let it grow. Let it lead you through your challenges.

I guarantee it'll keep you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End isn't always THE End

Washing My Hair in the Sink

Where to Start