The Challenge

After tracking my 'triggers' for the past 3 or 4 days I've discovered two things. Well, actually, one thing I knew I just didn't realize how much, and the other was a bit of a revelation.

1) I yell. I yell a lot.

This isn't exactly new. I was aware that I yell. I knew that I yelled a lot. It sucks and I don't like it. Hence The Orange Rhino challenge to the rescue!!

2) When I yell, the common denominator is me.

What I mean by this is that when I yell it's always about me. The kids aren't listening to ME. The kids were bothering ME. And every time I yelled it seemed as though I was uncomfortable in some way, shape or form. I don't yell at my kids in public. At least not very much because I want others to think I'm a patient and loving mother. Which I know I am, as long as it's convenient for me... well, that's not right. Not right at all.

It's not a HUGE blog today. But it's a powerful one for me. I was a little shocked that when I wrote it down on paper and saw that when I yelled the kids weren't necessarily doing anything wrong. But I was hot or tired or just had a feeling of being overwhelmed.

For some reason I was under the impression that the children just didn't listen very well and ignored me. Turns out they just don't know what I want them to do, and if they did know I usually didn't give them much of a chance to do it.

Man. I'm glad my kids think I'm so wonderful, they don't realize how horrible I really am.

Time to change.

Today is day 1 of my 30 day challenge. I am NOT going yell at my kids for the next 30 days. And if I complete that I will do another 30, and then another 30 and keep going until it's just our life.

I may end up restarting the challenge a few times, but that's okay, as long as I don't give up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End isn't always THE End

Washing My Hair in the Sink

Where to Start