THE zone

Last Friday was our last day of bootcamp. Our last adventure day with Lindsey. It was going to be alright. There were only 3 of us, Lindsey made 4, and it was going to be a pretty relaxing class. We walked along the pathways, chatting and socializing. We got to the stairs, did one set... mostly because we were going to do something and then changed our minds. We all ran across the bridge and then continued to walk along the path. Halfway thru class we turned around and started back. Ran back across the bridge and then did 3 sets of stairs. So far, so good. Nothing too difficult, nothing too strenuous, pretty good.

Up until now I've never reached "the zone" while running. Most anybody that jogs/runs will tell you that there's a moment when you're running that you get into a mode where your body just moves. Despite aches, pains and burns... it just keeps moving. Like a machine, your legs and lungs just keep going. Never thought about it really, just sort of assumed that one day I might actually know what the heck they're talking about... but then again... maybe not.

So, after our stair sets we started back again. Just walking and chatting, nothing major.just making our way back to the parking lot.

Couple of cyclists start to pass me and suddenly one of them says "TANYA! HEY!!"... it's Heather. Of all people to run into? My muse. :)

She's cycling home with her dad, saw me and stopped to chat. She wanted to know how my last class was going. Then she said, "I'm so proud of you. You're doing so well and should be so proud of yourself for what you've accomplished."

That's all she said. But, that's all I needed to hear.

She said goodbye and kept going, I waved at them and turned around. The other three ladies were well ahead of me. So I started to jog to catch up. I started and thought, meh, I'll just go until I start to run out of breath and then stop. I didn't really expect to catch up to them anytime soon.

It was odd. Soon after starting I stopped thinking about things that I usually do when I'm at bootcamp. What do I have to pick up on my home, I wonder if the boys are behaving, what do I have to do for tomorrow's day, etc. I just stopped thinking about all that and was just thinking about moving. Just keep moving forward. That's all I thought about.

I had them in my sights, the other three, and I was slowly catching up to them. They were still walking and chatting, just enjoying the company and the walk. Witnessing that made me feel at peace for some reason. But it also didn't make me want to stop, which was another odd thing for me.

I did pass them. They said something, I didn't really hear it, but it was some sort of encouragement. Thumbs up. That's all I could manage at the time. I got a little ways ahead of them and had to walk. only for about 30 sec. just long enough to catch my breath a little. I reached a bush that I had mentally decided to start running at, and started to run again. By this time we're almost back. Just a little more pathway, then the killer hill, a little more path and the parking lot.

Okay this is what I was thinking: Just reach the top of the hill, that's it, reach the top of the hill and you can walk... okay, there's the hill, just get to that sign... there's the sign... you're fine, keep running, you can run all the way down the hill, no problem it's just a hill... okay bend your knees... don't go too fast... don't trip on that bump... don't run into that cyclist... awwww, puppy... okay, there's the bottom of the hill... breath... okay, keep going, run to the parking lot...

This is where it happened. All those thoughts just stopped... my arms were heavy... my legs were heavy... but they were moving... they didn't want to stop... breath, step, breath, step, breath, step... I had no thoughts for the last stretch of path... just run... there was no stopping until I reached the end... not going to happen...

I had finally experienced it. Fitting that it happened on the last day of bootcamp in the last 10 min of class. It was amazing... I finally understand WHY people jog, if that's what you experience everytime... or even almost everytime... you run, wow, I would run all the time too. It was an amazing calming time, nothing could've bothered me if it was trying to.

I think of all the times in my life that I was avoiding running.

Now, I can't wait to do it again.

Comments

  1. Wow! That is awesome, Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I miss this?? You are gonna ROCK that 5km girl! And, I will be thinking of this as I try to survive my own little battle coming up ... :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The End isn't always THE End

Washing My Hair in the Sink

Where to Start